Monday, December 11, 2006

Better Late Than Never

Okay Okay, It's 11:30 p.m. but it is still Monday so I'm posting my artist of the week. I didn't want to have to go to sleep with the thought of breaking my promise to all 6 1/2 people who possibly read my blog. I meant to write more with in the week about musical things other than the artist of the week, but alas, I did not. Exams, buying cars, and nursing those whom I love back to health have distracted me delightfully (except for the exams). On to the artist for this week.



Artist of the Week: Further Seems Forever
Cd of Choice: The Moon is Down
Song of Choice: Monechetti

Further Seems Forever is a complicated band to say the least. Over the course of their existence they have had 3 different lead singers. I think it is very hard to keep your identity as a band when you lose your lead singer. That is why bands often change their names when they lose their singers. However, I think FSF has done a very good job at maintaining their image as a band through the drastic changes. All 3 singers have brought something different to the band to evolve it, but they never changed the band. Chris Carraba (Yes, the singer of Dashboard Confessional) brought gripping therapeutic lyrics much like he does in Dashbaord. Jason Gleason brought a source of power that took the band to a whole other level musically. And finally Jon Bunch gave the band....well...I don't know what he gave. I never really liked him.

While I feel the band hit its peak while Jason was singing, I believe Chris Carraba was my favorite singer for them. It could be because I'm a huge Dashboard Confessional fan, but the songs off of The Moon is Down bring back such vivid memories. The way he paints beautiful portraits with his words strikes me differently everytime I listen to the cd. I think the acoustic sound in Dashboard works for him really well. I DON'T think the alternative pop sound works for him as well. But I don't think any style makes him pour his self out quite like the intricate guitar riffs and hard hitting rhythms FSF provided for him. So there it is scoot on over to their myspace and you can hear a song off of each prospective singer's album with FSF.

Further Seems Forever's Myspace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

By nursing me back to health, you mean making me stay within 3 feet of you at all times and not breathe in your general direction, right? Just kidding, you were great and I was lucky to have you around. Thanks for sticking through this weekend with me, and I'll return the favor next week when you get your teeth out!

Oh, and since that's not what this blog is about, I'll give my input on FSF: I like Jason Gleason the best.