Wednesday, December 20, 2006

2 Days Late and......2 Dollars Short???

Ok, so it definitely didn't take long for me to be late on the band of the week. Never-the-less, here I am...posting a new artist of the week. This week's artist of the week is probably my favorite band ever, at least right after Radiohead.



Artist of the Week: Anathallo
Cd of Choice: Floating World
Song of Choice: Hanasakajijii (Four: A Great Wind, More Ash)

This is seriously one of the most creative bands I have ever heard. They do not do the typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-chorus formula that most bands give into using. This has inspired me in my own musical projects. I think that too often music becomes trite, boring, and predictable. I listened to Floating World for about two or three weeks straight and was honestly surprised everytime. The way this band writes music is so unique that it took me countless listens to finally start predicting when things were going to happen.

I think one way the band succeeds at approaching music so creatively is their instrumentation. The way they blend horns, chains, auxillary bass drums, bells, and plenty other unique instruments with the typical instruments you'd hear in a modern band helps give them a creative edge on most music that's out there. Plus it really helps that all of the musicians sing with the lead singer. They don't do incredibly hard harmonies or anything, but they provide the listener with the sense of a sing-a-long. The lead singer has a BEAUTIFUL voice that fits the music they write like fur fits a cat. I could go on and on about how this band does music, but this would turn into a book. So do yourself a favor and go listen to them. Do yourself a bigger favor and buy the cd. Only listening to a few songs will not do them justice. However, do NOT buy this cd if you don't have an open mind to music. Some say they are weird. But of course, I say they are BRILLIANT

Anathallo's Myspace

No comments: